Labuan Bajo, the home of Komodo dragon in Indonesia

by - 7:50 AM


If you guys haven’t heard anything about the magnificent Komodo dragon in Indonesia, I bet this is the right time to find out more about it.

Komodo dragon is the largest lizard found in the Indonesian islands that can reach 10 feet in length and weigh up to 200 pounds. They like to shred their prey to death or let them die within 24 hours of blood poisoning because its venomous saliva. Their unique way to kill its prey became the most interesting story for me.

So last month, I decided to visit this little buddy in Labuan Bajo National Park, Flores, Indonesia. Beside the Komodos, Labuan Bajo -which consists of several islands- has an enormous view in each one of them. So if you’re not so into the vicious prey-hunter, you can have a different experience with the gulfs-scenery view they offered, the pink beach or maybe dancing with Manta Ray in the middle of a clear sea. Your call.

To feel the excitement of the Island Hopping, I decided to Live on Board for three days two nights, plus adding another day to stroll around in the main island before heading back to Jakarta.

My open trip consists with nine other persons and one tour operator that surprisingly just two years older than me, named Ashadi. So I decided to feel it as a private trip.





The land operator pick us up at the airport on 10.00 am and my trip started from here. Starting from the port, this is my itinerary with semi-Phinisi ship named Aqua Luna:

Day 1

Kelor Island

One of the steepest hill among all, we should climb with 45 degrees steepness track. Due to my stupidity for leaving my trekking gear at home, I survived to climb it with flip-flops. Not recommended to do it so, because it’s pretty dangerous.


Rinca Island

This is where the Komodo dragons lay low in a hot sunny day. Basically, there are several islands where the Komodo dragons live, and Rinca Island is one of them.

Komodo Dragon
The Single Tree
The others are: Komodo Island, Gili Motang and Nusa Kode. Among of these islands, it’s easier to find them in Rinca Islands.

Kambing Island

Our original plan was docking Aqua Luna in Padar Island. Due to strong waves occurs, it’s pretty impossible to sleep with a bumpy ride. So our land operator suggests docking our ship in this island and went for photo hunting while waiting for the sunset.





Day 2

Padar Island

One of the main attraction beside the Komodos, this hill require approximately 30-45 minutes trekking. But I can assure you, you won’t be disappointed. Again with my flip-flops, I managed to trek this pretty hill and rewarded by this awesome view. But remember, trekking with proper shoes will be way more comfortable.





Pink Beach

The first thing that came into my mind was: the Pink beach isn’t that pink anymore since the first time I saw it in one of my friend’s picture. But it’s still pretty though.


Manta Point

After the Pink Beach, we went to Manta Point where you could swim with manta Rays if you’re lucky.



And yes, it’s our lucky day.

I remembered that time when I visited Kei Island, South East Maluku in 2015. I clearly didn’t know that Manta ray and Stingray was two different thing back then. I slowly stepped my foot in a shallow spot among Bair Island when I was doing Island hopping.

Turns out many stingrays were hiding underneath powdery white sands. And now here, I can see its relatives dancing in a clear blue see.

Gusung Island

Just 5 minutes across the Manta point, here we are literally standing in the middle of the sea.



Before we’re heading back to the ship, one of the members picked up the magenta coral from the beach and take it home intentionally. My friend clearly scold her, but she said it’s okay to take it home, because she just took one out of plenty, especially from the beach. She’d willingly pay for it if she has to.

The magenta corals are the things that make the sand looks pink. So if everyone thinks like this person, no wonder the sand –especially in pink beach- looks less pink than it should be. No matter where you take it from, just don’t. Let’s keep our environment as it is.

Day 3

Gili Lawa Darat

We docked our ship on our second day and climbed one of the hill in Gili Lawa Darat for photo hunting while waiting for the sunset.



In the morning of the third day, we woke up at 4 am to hike and found this amazing sunrise



Kanawa Island

This is our last stop before hading back to Labuan Bajo Island. You can snorkel here, but I’d prefer to sitting on the beach while waiting for our lunch.



If one of you were trying to find land operator for a short visit to Labuan Bajo, I highly recommend LookIndonesia Adventure.

You may want to check him out on Instagram @lookindonesia.adventure


Psst.. he brought a portable speaker with him every time. Very helpful to keep your good mood while trekking!

Budget to prepare:
IDR 8.000.000 (all in, more or less depends on the flight and seasonality)

Do and Don'ts:
a. It's best to visit Labuan Bajo between April until September
b. Bring your own snorkeling or diving gear would be better
c. Don't forget to wear a proper shoes or sandals for trekking. Wearing flip-flop is possible, but not recommended
d. Bring out the best sunblock you've got, and don't forget the after sun
e. Don't take anything home (like sand or even worse, the pink coral)
f. Don't Litter! it helps everyone
g. Bring enough cash, it's a bit hard to find ATM around

You May Also Like

0 comments